Last Sunday when the girls and I got home from Myrtle Beach... James proposed that we go skiing... in West Virginia... that week??!!?!?? I looked at him like he was crazy... didn't he know that I had 2000 things to do... 4 Christmas parties to attend... 4 children to take care of... and the list goes on. Well... he said this deal he found was too good to turn down... I called Dad & Ann to see if they could come keep the kids on very short notice... very much expecting them to be busy. Well, they changed a few plans they had... and they were at our house Wednesday afternoon!!! I spent the early part of the week running in circles... literally... but somehow everything got done... and James and I headed out at 4 am on Thursday! It took almost 8 hours to get up to Snowshoe, WV... but traveling without kids is so VERY easy... and it is definitely worth the drive to ski at Snowshoe! On Thursday, it rained... ALL day... so we took a very long nap then went out to dinner. It was such a relaxing day... and such a nice, quiet dinner! Thursday night... the rain changed to SNOW... and we were on the slopes by 9 am on Friday! We were able to ski all day... it snowed all day... it was windy & cold... but the skiing was AWESOME and we had many of the ski runs completely to ourselves! We started on green, quickly moved to blue, and even tackled a few black diamonds! We were back out on the slopes Saturday morning... it was beautiful, sunny, and crowded. The slopes were a little icy that morning... but we still had a good time. We packed up and were on the road by 2 pm... home by 10! It had been over 4 years since James & I took a trip w/o family or friends... and almost 7 years since I have been skiing... it was so nice... we actually had uninterrupted conversations... we slept over 8 hrs each night... we had a great time. Thank you so very much, Dad & Ann, for taking care of the kids... getting them here and there... and spoiling them a little bit in the process! Thank you, James, for the crazy... wonderful idea to go on a spur of the moment trip together!

I'm a little excited to go out to dinner Thursday night...

The view from our window Friday morning...

Real SNOW!!! Not something we ever see back here...

James... he did awesome!

Me... dodging the snowboarders... they spend more time in the snow than on the snow...

Taking a break by the lake...

Notice the closed sign... notice the ski tracks... ask James...

Back at the top of the mountain!


The snowman we promised to make for the kids.

Dinner together... no kids... 2 nights in a row!!!

Sunrise on Saturday... more skiing... then heading home!
.jpg)
3 comments:
What a fun trip!! I am glad you were able to do it too!
Hey Guys! It looks and sounds like you two had a wonderful time! Glad you were able to do it! You deserve it! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Karla
What an awesome spontaneous trip. Don't let Chris hear about it, he would be soooo jealous, or mayb just happy to know others crave spontaneity too (and love a good deal!)
This quote was in a World Travel email - reminded me of James on the "closed" trail.
The true skier does not follow where others lead. He is not
confined to a piste. He is an artist who creates a pattern
of lovely lines from virgin and uncorrupted snow.
So poetic - just like James, haha!
Post a Comment