Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Huata & The Thanksgiving Drama

Jessica was invited to be in her school's Thanksgiving Drama this year! Initially, I wasn't real sure exactly what she would be doing, but she did have to practice weekly after school for many weeks... so I figured it was pretty involved. Early on, we learned that she would play the part of Huata, a Native American. She would share the part with her friend, Riley. Well... they practiced, practiced, & practiced. On the big day... I found out that this was really a re-enactment! WOW... I was impressed! They had built the Mayflower, Pilgrim huts, a wigwam, a garden, the works! The kids were doing the re-enactment all day... each class would walk through the pilgrim village and then the Native American village, stopping at each location where the Pilgrims & Native Americans would tell them about life during those times. Each part was played by two students, so they took turns saying their lines... and had a chance for breaks & lunch. I am so proud of Jessica!!! This took a lot of work and the kids did a wonderful job!
Riley & Jessica before everything got started...

One of the Pilgrim Huts they built.

Melanie, Allie, and Hannah were Pilgrims responsible for baking bread in the stone oven.

You can see the Native American wigwam in the background.

Jessica takes dried corn off the stalk for grinding... while it is Riley's turn to say their lines.

Ms. Ashley teaches the students how to weave!

Great Job, girls!!!

No comments: