Sunday, April 10, 2011

A New Best Friend...

Baron was our first boxer... James & I picked him out shortly after we got engaged. He was an awesome dog... all of the kids learned to stand up by pulling up on his collar. He was so patient and loving with them. We lost Baron when he was 13 yrs old (an extremely long life for a boxer)... that was 1.5 yrs ago. Since then... we have thought many times about getting another. But, we were not ready for another indoor dog (we do have 2 outdoor lab mixes). Baron Bullenbeiser (1996-2009):

Several weeks ago after playing with a friend's sweet boxer... I knew I was ready. Jess has been ready the entire time... but James was reluctant. The twins are 5 yrs old now and I decided I could handle an indoor dog. Boxers are great family dogs. They love kids and like to be with you ALL of the time... underfoot. They are big dogs that don't realize their size and would prefer to sit in your lap. I knew a puppy was not an option for us right now... so I started looking into rescuing a boxer... preferably a 1-2 yr old. We applied for adoption, had our home study, and were approved. Now to find the "right" dog... one that LOVES LOVES LOVES kids... gets along well with other male dogs... and fits right in with our family. Within a couple of weeks... we were lucky... we met Colby. He is a 1.5 yr old white male boxer (possibly mixed with an American Bulldog?) He had been in a foster home in Charleston for almost 2 months being nursed back to health... here is his "before" photo... Much to the surprise of the vet... Colby survived and went from 48 lbs to 80 lbs in foster care!!! Thanks to the devotion of his foster family, this is is Colby now... Meeting Colby for the first time... Jessica had picked out a rope for him. We had read his description & talked to his foster mom... then it was time to meet him. As soon as we saw him, we ALL knew he was the right dog for us and we brought him home that night.
Colby has settled in quickly. He is wonderful with the kids... he loves to give kisses... he loves to ride in the car... he is gentle, sweet, and just has an awesome personality. His favorite toy... stuffed animals.

And he has a few new best friends, too...


Anyone that has ever had a boxer knows... If it isn't a boxer, it is just a dog! We are all delighted to have another boxer in our family! We are thankful to Carolina Boxer Rescue for saving Colby and matching him with our family!

2 comments:

Kris said...

such a sweet post! loved those pics of Colby with the kids-Colby looks SO happy!

Kayne and Thomas said...

I love your new boxer! He is beautiful! What a great addition to the family!