Saturday, October 10, 2009

Everybody Loves "Raymond!"

The short story, well maybe not so short:
1 - Jessica, Jaycie, & I volunteered at the local animal shelter last weekend.
2 - James trusted us to go "unsupervised" with the intention of returning home w/o any new furry friends.
3 - While there, we played with all of the animals... bathed most of the puppies... and met the sweetest dog EVER... "Raymond"... a yellow lab mix... not quite 1 yr old. He was VERY scared and stayed snuggled up to my leg the entire time I was with him... a police officer had picked him up and brought him in to the shelter.
4 - We DID return home... no new furry friends in hand!!!
5 - James was relieved (as we already have 2 dogs, 2 fish, 2 frogs, & 4 children!)
6 - Jessica could not sleep that night... she has a HUGE heart, especially for animals. She was sad and said she kept thinking of their lonely barks and the fact that none of them had a real home (yes, she can play with the heart strings and have a bit of drama!)
7 - I kept thinking about Raymond and told James about him... I thought he would be a great friend for Black Jack in the back yard... our stray we found earlier this year. I bet you can tell where this story is going!
8 - James does NOT say "No!" He just kept asking me if I REALLY thought it was a good idea???!!
9 - We decided we would wait the week... and call the animal shelter on Friday. We told Jessica that IF he was still available for adoption, our whole family would go visit him at the shelter this weekend and we would seriously consider adopting him.
10 - We prayed every night that Raymond would find a good home... be it ours or someone else's... well, Jessica just prayed that it would be ours!
11 - Friday comes... I call the shelter... he has been ADOPTED!!!! Somewhat sad, somewhat relieved... I tell Jessica and she cries.
12 - Saturday comes... James brings home Raymond!!!! It was my dear, sweet HUSBAND who adopted Raymond!!!!!! I just love this story!!! The kids think their Daddy is a hero, and so do I!!!!!
Now, Raymond does not sound like a great dog name to me... James & I wanted Carter or Finley (Carter Finley Stadium is the home of the Wolfpack!)... or Walter... or Sunny. But, all the kids like Raymond... so, Raymond it is!!!
The first meeting.... Surprise!!!


Meeting Black Jack... I was a little worried b/c Black Jack plays ROUGH... but, they get along GREAT... I think they will enjoy each other's company!!!!

I guess it IS true... Everybody Loves Raymond!!!! And to James... we love YOU!!!!!

5 comments:

Angie Watford said...

Yay!!!! That's AWESOME that James surprised you like that! Love the story and Raymond!

Three Guys And A Chick said...

Ok so I already knew the story and still cried when I Jessica with the dog! I am very HAPPY for you!!

Kayne and Thomas said...

I am crying!! That is the sweetest story ever!! You all have such big hearts for animals - I love it and your husband is wonderful too! Thanks for sharing this sweet story. Raymond is precious!

beth mcfadyen said...

OH MY goodness! I have goosebumps! I knew you had a new addition but didn't know the story behind him! Soooo sweet!!

rita and andy said...

what a sweet, sweet story! don't you just love when our husbands do something so thoughtful!!! The kids look very excited, especially Jessica!