Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Tailgating... WOLFPACK Style!

Don & Linda's Annual Chili Cook-Off! The highlight of the NCSU football tailgating season... I believe this is the 15th year for the cook-off?? Don & Linda are my godparents and they have always been an important part of my life... and we LOVE tailgating with them! I don't remember how old I was when I went to my first NCSU football game... but I know this is where we were tailgating! This weekend the Wolfpack played Wake Forest and it was the only game this season I made it to (James was able to go to two others)... but I made it to the chili cook-off game! James' parents were able to come to our house to keep the kids... so James & I got up early Saturday morning to leave for Raleigh. We actually got to the tailgate spot BEFORE anyone else... first time in my life! I made my delicious pot of chili the night before and it was on the grill in time!
Jessica snaps our picture before we head off to Raleigh...


Ready to tailgate...

Chili Cook-Off "rules" include:

- You cannot add ingredients after the chili is on the grill (except you can see Tina stirring in some wishful thinking...)

- Significant others of contestants are NOT allowed to judge (Tina tried to buy votes here, too...)

- Judges must know what chili is supposed to taste like (well... not sure this happened...)

Last call for chili entries...

We love you, T... but no amount of wishful thinking will help you now ;)

Once everyone arrived... the ACC camera crew arrived to interview Don & David A. about the tradition. Somehow, I ended up on the wrong side of the camera, too... we will see how the interview turns out...

David gets interviewed while we stand in the background trying to make him laugh.

My turn now...

The contestants...

Some of the judges...

Two "lucky" contestants receive the Hot Dog Award and the Spaghetti Award... my mom is familiar with the Spaghetti Award (especially the year she went with the bean-less chili WITH mushrooms... hello?) And the results are...
Hot Dog Award - Linda
Spaghetti Award - Charlie (and he owns several restaurants?? I recommend his spaghetti!)
Third Place - David A. (somehow, Darrell won $40 on this one?)
Second Place - Will
And the First Place Winners ARE.... Madison & Ashley!

Don gives Linda her "Hot Dog Award"

Madison receives his 1st Place Award!

Somehow... I didn't place in the top three this year??? Like I mentioned earlier, not sure if the judges really knew what good chili is supposed to taste like! I already have my "chili" plan for next time...

James & David C.

The cutest fan at the stadium... Sydney (my niece)

Before we go in to the game... the tradition is that we have to touch the Wolf on top of the Big RED pig cooker...

Straight out of the Wolf's Den...

The Half-Time Show...

reminding me to look UP!

NCSU 21 - WF 17... A WOLFPACK WIN!!!!!!!!

After the game, we went out to dinner with friends, watched a movie, and crashed at David's house... thanks for letting us stay with you! We had a nice time... especially not having to worry about any little ones underfoot! Thanks to Anne & Jimmy for coming to stay with them! We woke up early Sunday morning to head home to a busy day... another post!

1 comment:

Kayne and Thomas said...

What a fun tradition!! It looks like you had a great time!